Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Steelhead Diner- Theo's Chocolate Pecan Pie

I happen to be a VERY lucky girl, I am sure of it! I was invited to join other urbanites in the Dine Around Seattle annual event, featuring restaurants of noted reputations offering three course meals for $30. I carefully detailed the restaurants and menus determining which would not only be satisfying, but food that was unique or a treat that I have never prepared for my family. I concluded that Steelhead Diner, located right in the Pike Place Market, was definitely the one!
Best dining choice I have made so far! The restaurant itself is high end, gourmet food, but the atmosphere is lively, welcoming and casual! If you have followed me long enough you know I believe strongly in seasonal, local foods and sustainable eating. Imagine my absolute joy as I read the menu and boldy printed was "nothing south of oregon - nothing east of idaho". Did I chose right or what?!
But the food, what was the food like?  It ALL was amazing. I will be back, there was nothing that wasn't prepared perfectly. As for my plate of Olson Farms Yukon Gold Potato and Goat Cheese Gnocchi...The Herbed cream sauce was plate licking worthy, the gorgeous cubes of seasonal squash were a sublime addition and the gnocchi, well.. I've had gnocchi before. I wasn't impressed. These were the most delicate clouds, perfected and wrought by angels. I'm not kidding.  I couldn't even bring myself to share with my date.

#1 Delectable Dessert - THEO CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE with Cocoa Nibs & Bourbon Chantilly Crème
Sincerely the most incredible pie I have ever had.  I chose it because I have honestly never liked the idea of pecan pie, I've never made it, tasted it or ever wanted to. Tonight was my time to try new flavors, flavors that the masters of  the culinary world have perfected; this is one perfect recipe. Chewy, Caramelly, a crust that is like a shortbread, Crunchy bits of Dark Chocolate, Gooey, humbling perfection on a plate!
Nothing could have topped my evening off better than the Seattle P.I. posting the recipe two days later, a Thanksgiving article featuring the RECIPE for Theo Chocolate Pecan Pie! I'm giddy! Sooooo... go taste it. Go sit down for their perfect pie and a cup of joe with a friend, you wont regret it.  Once you can't seem to let it go, you want more, here is the recipe! But by all means, return to Steelhead to try something new! They do not disappoint!

Steelhead Diner's- THEO CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE

PIE CRUST
1 ½ pounds all-purpose flour
1 pound chilled unsalted butter
8 ounces ice cold water
½ teaspoon white vinegar
Place flour into bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment.
Cut butter into ¼-inch cubes, add to flour and begin mixing at low speed. When butter and flour are incorporated and begin to resemble pea-size balls, add the ice-cold water and vinegar and mix until it is just barely held together.
Spread onto chilled baking pan and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Butter and flour the inside of a steep-sided 9-inch cake pan. Roll out pie crust to roughly ¼-inch thickness and place in pan, making sure that there are no air pockets. (Allow for a generous overhang; our crust retracted considerably in the oven.)
Line inside of pie crust using heavy-duty tinfoil or parchment paper and fill with dried beans (or other pie weights) to make sure the crust does not bubble.
Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the beans and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Notes: It sounds like too much flour, but the amount is correct. This pie has an unusual crust, and it's important to use a cake pan rather than a pie pan. And as in all pie dough recipes, it is essential that the water and butter be very cold when added to the flour and that you are very careful not to overmix.


PIE FILLING
7 eggs
2 ¼ cups sugar
2 ¼ cups dark corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup Theo Ghana Dark Chocolate Bar 84%, cut into chip-size pieces
1 ½ cups whole pecans


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium mixing bowl, add eggs, sugar, corn syrup and vanilla extract and mix well until consistency is smooth and even.
Sprinkle chocolate pieces along the bottom of the pie crust followed by whole pecans. Gently pour in the custard mix.
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, then place a lid over the pie (a cookie sheet will work) and bake for 30 minutes, covered. Remove lid from pie and bake for another 30 minutes if using a convection oven, or another 70 minutes if using a standard oven, until the pie has set and does not wiggle. Shield crust with foil if needed.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving


Garnish with Theo Chocolate Cocoa Nibs and bourbon chantilly creme (whipped heavy cream with bourbon and sugar)


Note: Theo Chocolate, made in Seattle, is available at many markets, including Metropolitan Markets, Town & Country Markets, PCC, Madison Market and Whole Foods.


-- Courtesy of Kevin Davis, chef-owner of Steelhead Diner

 Read more: Seattle PI

VISIT STEELHEAD DINER at 
95 pine street
pike place market
seattle, wa 98101

No comments:

Post a Comment