Monday, November 7, 2011

Italian Grandmother's Amazing Meatballs and Spaghetti Sauce

To be honest you will rarely find a recipe so long from me. So time consuming... but when you do as the Italian's do... you do as the Italian grandmother does.  Purrrrrfection, simmering sauces. Dishes that take hours, but are worth every bite.












True Spaghetti with Amazing Meatballs
3 Hours

The Workings
Mild Italian Sausages (optional)
Brown in Pan, set aside.

Meatballs
These meatballs are extremely UNIQUE to what we usually expect, with the golden raisins, but they are so good! So prep your palette to try something new! And the milk bread is a must to those is the "meatball know".

1 1/2 lbs of ground meat ( I used 3 lbs. and doubled the other ingredients. 1 lb. veal, 1 lb. hamburger, 1 lb. pork)
2 pieces white Bread ( I used sprouted wheat bread because it is all I eat) torn, soaked in milk, and gently squeezed
1 Tbs. Soy sauce
1 cup golden raisins
1 Egg
salt and pepper to taste

Combine ingredients well and roll in bread crumbs. Brown in pan that sausage was browned in, or olive oil.

Sauce
3-28 oz cans Whole Stewed Tomatoes, hand crush as you pour in.
2-16 oz. cans Tomato Sauce
1-6 oz can tomato paste
Seasonally- As all of your tomatoes ripen August, September, October use them instead! 
1 whole clove garlic, crushed
1 WHOLE onion, peel removed (The Italian way is to cook it whole, and remove upon completion, Grandma says an onion becomes bitter if left in a sauce.)
1 1/2 cup Parmesan (put right into sauce)
1/4 bottle Italian seasoning

Cook sauce-2-3 hours.  Add meatballs and sausage back into sauce an hour before done.

True Italian meatballs are actually very small.  American meatballs are the giant ones I created.

1 comment:

  1. From Amy Stephens(Facebook) "the meatballs and spaghetti are the best I have ever eaten in my whole life!!! Worth every hour and the huge mess!! I did however learn that I need bigger and more pots and pans :) I really didn't expect they'd be as good as they were the meat and the sauce. I mean I thought they'd be good but it way exceeded my expectations. Owen even ate some of the sauce and he NEVER eats anything on his noodles but it smelled so good he kept asking to try it and he liked it! A miracle! Delish!!

    ReplyDelete